2014-11-26

Stay On The Board

So, you might know that winter is not my favorite season for longboarding. My fingers got cold even with 25+°C sometimes, as they don't really have any task and just hang in the wind most of the time. But now - late November - it is really painful sometimes. Also the cold air gets up your sleeves, the street tends to never really get dry and it gets dark way too soon. Many longboarders search for an alternative and most of them end up snowboarding. I personally did it the other way round: I just couldn't wait one year to get onto the snowboard again and didn't want to go for indoor winter sports. Here are some of my experiences about transitioning from longboarding to snowboarding and vice versa.

Rear foot steering. I personally pretty much kick out my rear foot when I'm turning on a snowboard - just like sliding on a longboard. At the same time, you will most likely miss the sliding all the times you're in the city without slopes.

Locking in your feet. My girlfriend didn't trust the longboard at first because she was used to being strapped to the board. But as I told her, there is nothing to worry about. My feet did never just slide of the board - neither while carving nor pushing.

Atmosphere. Of course, the atmosphere is totally different. On a longboard you can go on for hundreds of miles without ever visiting the same place twice. On the snowboard you are pretty much limited to the mountains you're around and you will have to stop after a trail of maybe 10 miles, if you're lucky.

Does anyone of you have other experiences with these differences or did you notice anything else?


Follow my blog with Bloglovin